About Us

Our History

In the year 1884, Ayuntamineto de Ciudad de Manila permitted the construction of a new cemetery in the District of Sampaloc, Manila. Fr. Ramon Caviedas chose the vicinity in calm Barrio Balic-Balic highlands. There is no vacancy for burial sites in Sampaloc public cemetery where Fr. Caviedas served as the parish priest.

 

In 1890, the funerary chapel of the new cemetery was built. It was too small chapel beneath the graveyard. Because of its demographical distances, the only way to visit here is Calle de Balic-Balic which is ahead from Parroquia de Sampaloc.

 

During the 1896 Revolution, the old cemetery was totally devastated while in the highland cemetery remain unscratched. But during the American invasion, it became the siege of American soldiers, because of its strategic location. On February 5 1899, the Battle of Balic-Balic, which according to the History, was the signal of the Philippine-American war. Also, this was the start of devastation of the said cemetery.

 

In 1913, the American Health Institute decided to shut down the operation of the cemetery which was built way back then Spanish era until its closure in 1925. The district started to build the community. Some of prominent families at that time, including the Legardas, begin to raise their mansions behind the cemetery and started to construct grandeur urban subdivisions. Farmers, merchants and street sweepers were moved into specific places in Manila, creeks and heaths around Balic-Balic were clogged and built houses.

 

Parishioners in Balic-Balic had to travel for a long time to reach their parish ‘Parroquia de Sampaloc’ ever since. From thence, a new opportunity had born, by the permission of Archbishop Michael Doherty, the reconstruction of the ruined funerary chapel in the Balic-Balic public cemetery had begun and by his authority, daily masses were take an effect. In 1925 to 2928, Fr. Carlos Inquimboy and Fr. Prudencio de Aguinaldo from the Parish in Sampaloc presided the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and other foreign clergy from the Franciscan Order.

 

Based on the records found, Fr. Prudencio referred the place as ‘vast space around the chapel that civilization had been raised. Built many business centers, theme parks and stating rinks that benefit the youth.’ In other researches from the Archdiocesan Archives, Fr. Puredncio also wrote a pastoral report that the Cemeterio de Sampaloc financial reports were not included in his parish. Fr. Jose Pamintuan was designated in the chapel. Later, the Parroquia de Balic-Balic was born by the ‘Ordenes Circulares y Providencias’, Fr. Pamintuan was the first parish priest.

 

By the help of the parishioners and prominent families in the parish, the construction of much bigger church began to open its doors for some residence here.

 

In 1932, the parish was named Iglesia de Santissima Trinidad, derived from the street where it located. The image of the Most Holy Trinity made by Murillo clan and later was enshrined at the altar; the church bell was donated by the Legarda’s and the concept of the church by Arch. Lopez. The image of the Most Holy Trinity was the guide in changing environment. The feast is on the Feast of the Holy Trinity, before, it was on the Feast of St. Isidore, the patron of farmers since they was there. As time goes by, the Parish marked the community of Balic-Balic.

 

Fr. Jose Marquez succeeded Fr. Pamintuan in 1932. He was the first parish priest who resided in the church convent. He wanted to build a much larger church but a strong typhoon destroyed the first structure.

 

Fr. Esteban Exaltacion was the next pastor. He decided to build a church as well as his predecessor, he initiate the project with Gothic designs, unfortunately, the Second World War was at hand. As same as the Manila’s situation, Balic-Balic was occupied by the Japanese forces. They occupied the mansions of Fajardos, the Lopez and the Legardas as officials’ headquarters. Legarda School besieged and the church’s gate and convent was the hideout of the soldiers and weapon storage.

 

During the Liberation in 1944-1945, Manila brought back its restoration. The Archdiocese begins to revamp on his own. On the same year, Fr. Bernardo Torres appointed parish priest. In his tenure, the parish established its own school by the help of the Franciscan sisters from St. Joseph College in 1947.

 

Next to Fr. Torres were Fr. Felix Perez in 1955, Fr. Francisco Avendano in 1955 to 1957 and Fr. Felix Ignacio in 1957 to 1962. During his time, Manila Archbishop Rufino Cardinal Santos permitted the Salesian Sisters to administer Holy Trinity Academy. Because of lack of practices, they offered boy pupils only up to grade four.

 

In spite of her achievements, the parish only recognized during its feast day. Though, they created mandated organizations, it was not valuable to parishioners.

 

In 1962, Msgr. Isidro Jose appointed parish priest. He initiated the reconstruction of bigger church, the extension of the school, launching the Block Rosary to the community, enthronement of the images of the Sacred Heart to their homes, mandated organization much involvement in the parish, and many others. He mandated to divide the parish and designate lay leaders per ‘kawans’, appointment of parish fiesta committee annually to revitalized the devotions to the Most Holy Trinity and much committed to the parish activities.

 

In 1963, Msgr. Jose started the church’s construction. By dedication and love for the parish, the church construction had done and the marble altar was consecrated on December 7 1967. On October 26 1969, Msgr. Bienvenido Lopez, Auxiliary Bishop of Manila presided the dedication of the church.

 

In 1983, Msgr. Danny Pascual replaced Msgr. Jose as a parish priest. He was also the school director of Holy Trinity Academy for five years.

 

In 1988, Msgr. Cesar Pagulayan appointed parish priest until 1991.

 

On August 4 1991, Msgr. Manny Gabriel assigned parish priest. On his time, the parish was replenished the parishioners and the community of Balic-Balic.

 

Though it has already had the Parish Pastoral Council, Msgr. Gabriel reconstructed its structure in accordance with the Vatican II. This was the way to create BEC or Basic Ecclesial Communities in the parish.

 

In 1992, the PPC was actively holding a Pastoral Planning that regularly attended by mandated organizations in the parish and area chapels. The plan showed the suggestions and necessities of other parishioners who are not involved in some organizations. From thence, Family Evangelization Program of the parish was created and launched on September 13.

 

In the next year, 1993, 40 FEP units were created. This was the headstart of strengthening the program, until their representatives were actively participated to this manner. Parish Formation Institute was launched to train lay leaders to be more eager to serve.

 

Some progress in the BEC was approved: in 1994, Area Pastoral Council, eventually called Zone Pastoral Council created the Parish Awareness program in 1995 to 1996 to fortify community to be more committed in the parish. The Adopt a Barangay Campaign was the result to this formulation. They also initiate the Block Trinity to discern and strengthening devotions to the Most Holy Trinity. The participation of the youth was a main concern of the program, so in 1996, they constructed the Youth Pastoral Council.

 

In 1997, Msgr. Manuel Sebastian handled the parish until the end of October of the same year. 

Fr. Enrico Adoviso appointed pastor on January 3 1998. In his first period, he assessed the programs of the past parish priest to endorse more pastoral programs, even in academe. Three months later, the formulation of the 3-year Parish Pastoral Plan took in place. Together with Mr. Tatang Mendoza, the said proposal was a successful one.

 

To better expressed the love and compassionate to the parishioners, they launched to have street masses, sick calls, counseling, and the like.

 

During the Jubilee 2000, social services ministry began to widen their ministry. They launched PABLO or Parish Based Labor Organization and Samahan ng Maralitang Taga-Lungsod. They also grant other services like livelihood and microfinancing, health, women, scholarships and many others, also the establishment of the Parish Medical clinic under the Health desk department in 2003.

 

In 2001, they launched Pirma Ko, Pinta Ko project for the repainting of the church. They began reconstructing the church façade, replace of altar floors, and renovation of sacristy. In 2002 to 2003, they decided to built ossuary, parish hall renovation, covered pathways and gym located in the PJP grounds by the school.

 

In 2004, Finance ministry was created. They launched Sponsor-a-Tile program for repairing of the church floorings.

 

In 2005, the Worship committee was instigated the first Eucharistic Congress, and it was a yearly formation program of the parish.

 

In 2006, the unveiling of the diamond Jubilee of the Parish presided by Archbishop Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales. In the height of the preparation, the construction and blessing of Meditation Chapel on August 15, revision of the Novena to the Most Holy Trinity on October 28, and awarding of Plenary Indulgence from the Vatican.

 

In 2007, the parish hall was finished and it was beneficial for formation as well, installation of Carillion Bell, church clock and Adoration Chapel.

 

On its 75th Diamond Jubilee, they started the launching of Trinity Congress, followed by Trinity Festival from July 2007 to April 2008. At the end of that event, they had found the ‘areas of priorities’ in the parish, especially in the sector of youth and women. Because of the program, the creation of Children’s Ministry, Ministry for Retired Priests, empowering the youth by building Children and Youth Center, feeding programs and read-along sessions was beneficial to all parishioners.

 

 

Parish Priests of Most Holy Trinity Parish:

  • Jose Pamintuan (1928-1932)
  • Jose Marquez (1932-1938)
  • Esteban Exaltacion (1938-1945)
  • Bernardo Torres (1945-1955)
  • Felix Perez (1955)
  • Francisco Avendano (1955-1957)
  • Felix Ignarcio (1957-1962)
  • Isidro Jose ( 1962-1983)
  • Danny Pascual (1983-1988)
  • Cesar Pagulayan (1988-1991)
  • Manny Gabriel (1991-1997)
  • Manuel Sebastian (1997)
  • Enrico Adoviso (1998-present)