- June 20, 1619. The Parish of Sta. Cruz officially came into existence on June 20, 1619. Prior to this, Sta. Cruz was known as a village of the Parish of Quiapo and was under the province of Tondo.
Father Gregorio Catena, parish priest of Quiapo, signed a document under the authority of Archbishop Arce that paved the way for the spiritual administration of the Chinese tenants in Sta. Cruz by the Jesuits. It was the Jesuits who named the village Sta. Cruza, after the Holy Cross.